Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cork City's Historical Sites

      I have to say that when we were first given this assignment, I thought it was going to be one of the easiest ones that I have ever been set throughout three years in college. It was easy in the sense that we had to walk around and take pictures as opposed to sitting in the library for days and days churning out two thousand words of referenced opinion. On the other hand it was difficult, because we have all become immune to the heritage of our local areas it was hard to know where to start.

      My favourite pictures from the day I spent walking around the city like a tourist are the ones I have of the National Monument on Grand Parade. Honestly, I had skimmed over a few google hits on Cork City's historical sites and when I read this one I could never recall even seeing it. On the other hand i hand walked passed this giant statue on that part of Grand Parade where "the skaters hang around" a thousand times on my way to the bus station and never taken any notice of it. It wasn't until I was there with my camera that I realised they were the same thing.



      The structure was built in 1906 to commemorate the uprisings against the British in 1798 and 1867. On it's four corners are statues of O'Neill Crowley, Dwyer, Davis and of the most well known of the three, Wolfe Tone. At it it's sides are lists of names who the statue is also dedicated to including the famous Father John Mitchell. The statue was erected by the Cork Young Ireland society in honour of the rebels who had fought for the same cause that they were now fighting for themselves.

      I think the entire idea of virtual tourism is fantastic. Some may say that it is ruining the experience of actually visiting heritage sites and historical places but I think not. I read the post on the the new location based game Gowalla and looked into the game itself and thought it was great. Not only can people millions of miles away enjoy the heritage sites here in Cork City, but those of us living here can learn more about them too. Time spent on virtual tourism is more productive than the hours people spend waiting for crops to grow on farmville!!

No comments: