Monday, November 8, 2010

Attempting Photo Edits...


               When something looks or sounds difficult I tend to put it off for as long as possible. It's not that I won't be able to do it, it's that I need to set aside the time to really get into the task at hand. Now this is especially true where anything computer related is concerned.because my laptop is currently on it's last legs. The battery doesn't work and the slightest touch causes it to freeze so it is therefore no longer reliable let alone portable, anyway that's a whole different story. The boole computer centre is as good as anywhere else for now.
Mother Erin
                This photo editing business looked easy in class but I presumed that like most other things, when I tried it myself it would prove impossible. How wrong was I! I used the free version of online photo editor Picnik and it really could not have been easier. Everything is clearly labelled, there's no funny business, no hidden tools or strange symbols and there is even demo photos available for practisng on. I felt like a child playing with paint for the first time;zooming the cursor over my pictures, playing with colours, chopping and changing. It didn't feel like work at all, and made me realise that there will be no more spending money to get personal photos touched up. They'll all be delighted with my amazing photography skills at home!


From Gloomy...
                I'm using the pictures of the monument on Grand parade again, they were the best ones I took that day. Evidently from the first blog post I did about Cork's Historical locations, the weather wasn't great the day I as taking the pictures. The photo editor allowed me to cheer them up a little bit, but this is Ireland so there's only so much technology can do! The monument designe by D.J. Coakley, commemorates four risings between 1798 and 1867. Apparently the monument was unveiled by Fr. Kavanagh amidst verses of "Who fears to speak of 98?". The figure at the centre of design is "Mother Erin" and she shown at the centre of Four of Ireland's great sons; Wolfe Tone, Michael Dwyer, Thomas Davis and O'Neill Crowley.

...to sunny

                On the day it was unveiled there was a procession that meandered from Parnell Place (where the bus station is today) to the end of Grand Parade, the streets in between were lined with thousands of spectators. In his speech, Fr Kavanagh praised the links between Nationalism and Religion while Jeremiah O Donovan Rossa also put more emphasis on the importance of physical force. Both men praised the patriots that had died before them, way back as early as Brian Boru. I think the references in their speeches are what gives the monument its context and what makes it important for the people of Cork City. Sure, it is erected in memory of the names that ar listed on the stone tablets at either side, but what it stands for is much more that. It represents all the men and women who fought for Ireland, not only those who gave their lives but those who in some way helped to achieve Independence. In 2009 there was a ceremony to mark the rededication of the moneument, at which our own Prof. Dermot Keogh spoke and laid a wreath along with members of Oglaigh Naisiunta.


These two images show the amazing effect of photo editing. The top one is untouched, the original from the day I went out with my digital camera in the rain. The bottom one is the same image after a little nip and tuck. The difference in clarity is easily distinguishable, and I did it all by myself! This class is turning out to be really useful. Exciting stuff!!

No comments: